Analysis: Räikkönen in rally with Toyota in 2019?
The rumor quickly spread throughout the paddock in Monaco. Kimi Räikkönen is said to have accepted a deal to drive for Toyota in the WRC starting in 2019. While the possibility of such a partnership is not unrealistic, the Ferrari driver has suggested that it will not happen at the end of the season.

The Monaco Grand Prix is the longest event of the year. Five days, including three days of practice and racing, a day dedicated to media… and a day off on Friday. To keep busy, journalists have caught wind of this rumor about Kimi Räikkönen. At 39 years old and already 16 seasons in the top category, the idea resurfaces: without a contract at Ferrari at the end of the season, this year will be “Iceman’s” last behind the wheel of a Formula 1 car.
And for good reason, a strong element would this time support the theory: last Friday, Finnish media reported the words of Mia Miettinen, the executive vice president of Tommi Mäkinen Racing, which manages Toyota’s WRC program. She admitted that the Japanese manufacturer would be “interested” in having Räikkönen race in rally once his F1 driving career is over. Incidentally, Toyota Gazoo Racing is led by… Tommi Mäkinen, a four-time world rally champion between 1996 and 1999. The Finnish media even reported that
Kimi Räikkönen was reportedly officially approached by the Japanese manufacturer in Monaco, with Tommi Mäkinen visiting the Ferrari driver’s yacht.
A mirage, for the moment
The thing is, Kimi Räikkönen has literally sidestepped any idea on this subject. « It has never been a secret, but I don’t have an agreement or contract of that kind. People make up and write all sorts of things about it, but it’s not my problem. » Recently, Kimi Räikkönen mentioned his desire to continue in Formula 1 as long as « the joy of driving remains », even if the decision is not in his hands but rather Ferrari’s board.
I am only interested in rallying at the end of my Formula 1 career.
Somewhat annoyed, the former Lotus driver has in any case taken aim at one of his famous compatriots, who speculated on the subject. « The funniest thing is that Mika Hakkinen confirmed this story. How much does he really know about my life? »
In the same vein, Räikkönen’s co-driver during his WRC years was surprised by such news. Kaj Lindström said this to our colleagues at Motorsport.com:
« This is the first time I’ve heard this news. If something like that happened, I would want to be the first to hear it from Tommi or Kimi. »
« For me, this is pure speculation. » Kaj Lindström, Räikkönen’s co-driver in 2010-2011 during his stint in WRC
On paper, such a partnership would look promising. Toyota returned to the WRC in 2017 and immediately regained a taste for the podium (at Monte Carlo during the first event) and victory in Sweden in the following race. Since then, the team has won another rally and secured ten podiums across the 2017 and 2018 seasons.
On his side, Kimi Räikkönen already has a small history as a professional rally driver. Sponsored by Red Bull, he participated in twelve of the thirteen rallies of the 2010 season, driving a Citroën C4 WRC within the Citroën Junior Team, a satellite of the main structure. His best result remains a fifth place at the 2010 Rally of Turkey. With his own team, ICE 1 Racing, technically supported by Citroen, he also participated in the 2011 season, driving a Citroen DS3 WRC. The adventure abruptly ended, as his team was disqualified from the end of the championship for not participating in the rallies they had chosen at the start of the season, according to the regulations.
¿Hora de volver al WRC? Kimi Räikkönen con opciones de llegar a Toyota https://t.co/wrzwDCEWNM #WRC pic.twitter.com/L1nR97ThHw
— Gas Y Motor by PitLane F1 (@GasYMotor) 26 mai 2018
The man therefore has experience aboard a WRC car. And still, it should be noted that Toytoa Gazoo Racing WRC wants to field a fourth Yaris for the next season, by entrusting it to a private structure. At this time, no viable project has been accepted, with Nasser Al-Attiyah’s (double Dakar winner in 2011 and 2015) being postponed. And Tommi Mäkinen shows a certain preference for Finnish drivers, judging by the current team lineup, with Jari-Matti Latvala, Esapekka Lappi, and Ott Tänak, an Estonian driver… who replaced another Finn: Juho Hänninen.
The X Factor: Daniel Ricciardo
Even supposedly at a standstill, it will be necessary to follow the evolution of the Räikkönen-Toyota relationship in the coming months. Things could indeed accelerate with a radical decision from Ferrari: ending their partnership with their driver at the end of the season, after 8 seasons of collaboration, between 2007 and 2009 and then between 2014 and 2018 (zero victories since his return). Currently, Scuderia Ferrari has an ace up its sleeve: also without a contract for 2019 at Red Bull, Daniel Ricciardo is in exclusive negotiations with Maranello for the next season. If this phase concludes successfully, the Australian will take the place of the Finn alongside Sebastian Vettel. And to think that the wild season of transfers hasn’t even started yet…